3. Janz TG, Hamilton GC. Chapter 119: Anemia, polycythemia, and white blood cell disorders. In: Marx: Rosen’s Emergency Medicine, 7th ed, Chapter 119. Philadelphia, PA: Mosby, 2009.
4. Benz EJ. Hemoglobinopathies. In: Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 16th ed.
5. National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. Sickle cell anemia, key points. www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Sca/SCA_Summary.html.
6. Arnold JL, Besa EC. Sickle cell anemia. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/205926-overview#a0104.
7. National Institutes of Health. Introduction to Genes and Disease: Anemia, Sickle Cell. National Center for Biotechnology Information. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22238/.
Scott R. Snyder, BS, NREMT-P, is the EMS education manager for the San Francisco Paramedic Association in San Francisco, CA, where he is responsible for the original and continuing education of EMTs and paramedics. Scott has worked on numerous publications as an editor, contributing author and author, and enjoys presenting on both clinical and EMS educator topics. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sean M. Kivlehan, MD, MPH, NREMT-P, is an emergency medicine resident at the University of California San Francisco and a former New York City paramedic for 10 years. Contact him at email@example.com.
Kevin T. Collopy, BA, FP-C, CCEMT-P, NREMT-P, WEMT, is an educator, e-learning content developer and author of numerous articles and textbook chapters. He is also a flight paramedic for Ministry Spirit Medical Transportation in central Wisconsin and a lead instructor for Wilderness Medical Associates. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.