Today, hospitals and healthcare facilities across the country have the opportunity to strengthen their ability to respond to disasters, health pandemics and acts of terrorism. With $390.5 million in hospital preparedness funds from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services available nationwide in 2010-2011, the pressing question that fund recipients are asking: How can we best leverage these federal funds to enhance our ability to serve our local communities in an emergency?
That's the same question that faced the 150-plus members of the Missouri Hospital Association (MHA) in 2009 when grants became available to them under the Hospital Preparedness Program (ASPR) CFDA93.889. Provided with a federal government equipment and guidance list, MHA members honed in on areas of highest priority. This included improving processes for managing fatalities and for evacuating patients to other locations or setting up on-site shelters.
Multi-purpose StatBand ID Offers a Solution
MHA-member hospitals began the process of selecting a tested emergency ID solution that would prove reliable under the most unimaginable circumstances. To prepare for the worst, these hospitals required a simple yet mistake-proof ID solution.
As MHA-member facilities discovered, the StatBand solution offers multiple uses for emergency preparedness and response including:
- Emergency response--StatBands provide quick, accurate, trackable ID and serve as a key emergency management tool in the event of a hospital evacuation or a required shelter scenario.
- Emergency room use--StatBands offer quick identification and admission of emergency room patients, as well as an immediate assessment and treatment of everyday patients or walking-wounded after an MCI.
- Preparedness trainings and drills--Practice makes perfect and saves lives. StatBands can be used in preparedness training sessions and drills.
As a vital tool in an emergency preparedness arsenal, the StatBand offers the following features and benefits:
- One-piece fastening system ensures triage tags won't tangle like paper and string tags
- Advanced water- and abrasive-resistant three-ply polymer construction provides superior durability over paper and string tags
- Easily identifiable, tear-off triage status bars can be used to further assign patient's treatment/medical needs
- Prebundled group of 25 tags neatly organized to a clip-on belt fastener allows medical staff quick access and both hands free to do jobs
- Each patient's tag is sequentially numbered and uniquely barcoded to distinguish the patient, his/her belongings, forms, etc.
- Self-adhesive, uniquely numbered barcode labels facilitate unmistakable identification and immediate electronic tracking
- Back of tag can be used to record vitals, general patient notes, etc.
- Removable NOT DECON'D label permits easy identification of patients after DECON.
Visit www.statband.com for more information.