EMT Identified in Fatal Texas Carbon Monoxide Exposure

EMT Identified in Fatal Texas Carbon Monoxide Exposure

News Aug 15, 2010

WHITE OAK, Texas -- One emergency medical technician died and two co-workers were hospitalized Friday after being overcome by carbon monoxide while on duty in the small east Texas town of White Oak.

The three victims were found around 7 a.m. Friday by other workers during a shift change, said Victoria Ashworth, a spokeswoman at Good Shepherd Medical Center in Long view, which operates Champion EMS in White Oak.

Ashworth told The Associated Press that the carbon monoxide apparently was from a generator left running on an ambulance.

Casey Steenland, a 33-year-old EMT who was in training, was pronounced dead after being taken to the hospital, Ashworth said. Steenland, of Diana, was a married mother of four, Ashworth said.

"She was a dedicated, loyal member of that team and she'll be missed by everyone," Ashworth said.

Steenland's two co-workers -- Daniel Gaona, a 23-year-old EMT, and Ron Masten, a 43-year-old paramedic -- remained hospitalized in good condition late Friday afternoon, Ashworth said. The two were given oxygen treatment in a hyperbaric chamber, she said.

One of the rescuers, Jody Coke, 32, was treated for carbon monoxide exposure and released, Ashworth said.

The Longview News-Journal reported that Justice of the Peace B.H. Jameson said the ambulance was parked in the bay and all of the doors were closed.

"It is my understanding that the other two employees were on a different side of the building, which saved their lives," Jameson said.

Continue Reading

Officials said in a news conference Friday afternoon that the building does not have carbon monoxide detectors because it is all electric.

Because of the circumstances of this accident, Ashworth said, carbon monoxide detectors were installed in all 22 Champion EMS stations across east Texas on Friday.

Jameson said Steenland's body was sent to Tyler for an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.

The newspaper reported that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration was investigating.

White Oak is a town of about 6,200, situated 115 miles east of Dallas.


The Associated Press/El Paso Times (Texas)
Crestline Coach attended the Eighth Annual Saskatchewan Health & Safety Leadership conference on June 8 to publicly sign the “Mission: Zero” charter on behalf of the organization, its employees and their families.
ImageTrend, Inc. announced the winners of the 2017 Hooley Awards, which recognize those who are serving in a new or innovative way to meet the needs of their organization, including developing programs or solutions to benefit providers, administrators, or the community.
Firefighters trained with the local hospital in a drill involving a chemical spill, practicing a decontamination process and setting up a mass casualty tent for patient treatment.
Many oppose officials nationwide who propose limiting Narcan treatment on patients who overdose multiple times to save city dollars, saying it's their job to save lives, not to play God.
While it's unclear what exact substance they were exposed to while treating a patient for cardiac arrest, two paramedics, an EMT and a fire chief were observed at a hospital after experiencing high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, and mood changes.
After a forest fire broke out, students, residents and nursing home residents were evacuated and treated for light smoke inhalation before police started allowing people to return to their buildings.
AAA’s Stars of Life program celebrates the contributions of ambulance professionals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to their communities or the EMS profession.
Forthcoming events across the country will provide a forum for questions and ideas
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has released its 2016 Annual Report summarizing HCOHSEM’s challenges, operations and key accomplishments during the past year.
Patients living in rural areas can wait up to 30 minutes on average for EMS to arrive, whereas suburban or urban residents will wait up to an average of seven minutes.
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.