Dozens Watch as Calif. Men Horribly Burned by Power Line

Dozens Watch as Calif. Men Horribly Burned by Power Line

News Jun 05, 2010

ORINDA, Calif. --

Two men were hospitalized Saturday morning after they came into contact with high voltage wires while washing windows in Orinda.

The jolt was so intense it set one of the men on fire and all of it happened in front of a dozen horrified onlookers who were at a nearby farmer’s market.

Officials said the men were washing the windows of a business complex when their cherry picker hit a150,000-volt power line.

“One of the guys, the left side of the basket, was on fire. And then the other guy I saw him slump over. I thought he was dead at that point,” said Patricia Broman, who witnessed the accident.

It was approximately 35 minutes before emergency personnel could get the two men to the ground, according Lt. Eric Navarro of the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office.

Fire officials admitted afterwards that they took a while to get a ladder truck to help the two men because it had to come from across town and then they had to deal with the downed power lines.

“We have to treat everything as live until that point, until we know for a fact and get confirmation from PG&E that the line is shut off. If not, then we start killing firefighters while we attempt a rescue,” said Batt. Chief Darrell Lee of the Moraga Orinda Fire District.

Some of the shoppers on hand were outraged by the response of emergency personnel and PG&E.

“Those guys were up there burning, in a state of shock for close to an hour before they got a ladder to them and pulled them down,” said Russell Abraham.

Continue Reading

Orinda City Council Woman Sue Severson witnessed the accident and was concerned about any delay caused by the cell phone 911 calls going first to CHP headquarters in Vallejo.

“It was very disconcerting for the citizens and obviously like I said traumatic that there was a lag in response time,” said Severson.

Cal-OSHA was investigating the incident Saturday afternoon.

Orinda's Police Chief told KTVU that the incident was clearly an OSHA violation because the window-washers were far too close to the power lines. ORINDA: Window Washers Shocked, Set Afire In Front Of Farmer's Market [John Sasaki]

Copyright 2010 by KTVU.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

By Kevin L. JonesStory by <a target=_new href=http://www.ktvu.com/>ktvu.com</a>
After a forest fire broke out, students, residents and nursing home residents were evacuated and treated for light smoke inhalation before police started allowing people to return to their buildings.
AAA’s Stars of Life program celebrates the contributions of ambulance professionals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to their communities or the EMS profession.
Forthcoming events across the country will provide a forum for questions and ideas
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has released its 2016 Annual Report summarizing HCOHSEM’s challenges, operations and key accomplishments during the past year.
Patients living in rural areas can wait up to 30 minutes on average for EMS to arrive, whereas suburban or urban residents will wait up to an average of seven minutes.
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.
The levy is projected to raise about $525,000 per year, and that money must be spent only on the Othello Hospital District ambulance service.
The IMRUA is hosting its biannual Congress in Poland Sept. 22–24.
In a conference about the opioid crisis, former Congressman Patrick Kennedy (and a former addict) pleads with the public to treat addiction as a disease, not a moral failure, and offer effective treatment accordingly.
The simulations involved having the medics crawl into tight spaces and practice intubation on patients who are difficult to reach.
The Commission on Accreditation of Ambulance Services is accepting grant applications from agencies to provide funding for receiving accreditation.
The Center for Patient Safety has announced its "EMS Patient Safety Boot Camp,"