Five New Bedford firefighters were being treated at a hospital Friday after they were exposed to a biohazard bag from a hazmat incident earlier this week at a waste facility.
The firefighters from the Pleasant Street Fire Station were in fair condition at St. Luke's Emergency Hospital.
Earlier this week, 120 people fell ill from toxic gas fumes at ABC Disposal. Two victims remained hospitalized at St. Luke’s Hospital, and one patient remained hospitalized at Charlton Memorial Hospital in Fall River. All were now listed in fair condition.
The cause of the fumes in that incident remained a mystery. Officials said testing at the plant failed to pinpoint the source of the vapors.
NewsCenter 5 and TheBostonChannel.com will have more information when it becomes available.
Copyright 2009 by TheBostonChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.