Hand Sanitizer Cocktail Poses New Dangers

Hand Sanitizer Cocktail Poses New Dangers

News Apr 27, 2012

April 07--Some homeless people desperate for alcohol are mixing up a potent cocktail made from mouthwash and hand sanitizer, which police say may be linked to two recent Albuquerque deaths.

Police Chief Ray Schultz on Friday called on retailers to voluntarily refrain from selling hand sanitizer to people they suspect may abuse the product.

"Over the next few weeks, we hope to educate the owners of convenience stores, gas stations and liquor stores and ask them not to sell these products to people who are already intoxicated," Schultz said at a news conference.

Hand sanitizer, which became a national obsession during the 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic, contains at least 60 percent ethyl alcohol -- the same substance found in beer, wine and liquor.

The New Mexico Poison Center since Jan. 1 has received 14 reports of people who ingested hand sanitizer, said Dr. Steven Seifert, the center's medical director. None of those cases resulted in death or serious injury.

Poison control centers nationwide received reports of about 3,700 cases of hand sanitizer ingestion in 2011, according to the National Poison Data System. None resulted in death but two resulted in serious injuries.

Nearly 3,500 of those cases resulted from unintentional exposure. More than 2,900 cases involved children age five or younger.

Chronic alcoholics frequently mix hand sanitizer with mouthwash, which also contains ethyl alcohol, said APD Deputy Chief Paul Feist.

"The alcohol content in many of these cocktails they are making is very strong," Feist said. "An 8-ounce bottle of hand sanitizer here would be the equivalent of five shots of a hard liquor once it's mixed."

Police pointed to two recent deaths in which victims may have consumed hand sanitizer. They are:

Continue Reading

On Feb. 21, police found the body of Evangeline Largo, 47, in Downtown Albuquerque with several empty bottles of mouthwash nearby. Schultz said bottles of hand sanitizer also were found at the scene. A police incident report about Largo's death does not include any mention of hand sanitizer.

Police found the bloodcovered body of Kennard Chee, 42, on March 20 in the 500 block of Roma NW. Two men said they had consumed mouthwash and hand sanitizer with Chee before his death. Police arrested Donald Domingo, 53, and Andrew Kinlichinniee, 48, each on an open count of murder in Chee's beating death. Both men remained in jail on Friday in lieu of bond. Online

Watch the police chief talk about the deadly cocktail at ABQjournal.com

Copyright 2012 - Albuquerque Journal, N.M.

Source
Albuquerque Journal, N.M.
Olivier Uyttebrouck
Crestline Coach attended the Eighth Annual Saskatchewan Health & Safety Leadership conference on June 8 to publicly sign the “Mission: Zero” charter on behalf of the organization, its employees and their families.
ImageTrend, Inc. announced the winners of the 2017 Hooley Awards, which recognize those who are serving in a new or innovative way to meet the needs of their organization, including developing programs or solutions to benefit providers, administrators, or the community.
Firefighters trained with the local hospital in a drill involving a chemical spill, practicing a decontamination process and setting up a mass casualty tent for patient treatment.
Many oppose officials nationwide who propose limiting Narcan treatment on patients who overdose multiple times to save city dollars, saying it's their job to save lives, not to play God.
While it's unclear what exact substance they were exposed to while treating a patient for cardiac arrest, two paramedics, an EMT and a fire chief were observed at a hospital after experiencing high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, and mood changes.
After a forest fire broke out, students, residents and nursing home residents were evacuated and treated for light smoke inhalation before police started allowing people to return to their buildings.
AAA’s Stars of Life program celebrates the contributions of ambulance professionals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to their communities or the EMS profession.
Forthcoming events across the country will provide a forum for questions and ideas
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has released its 2016 Annual Report summarizing HCOHSEM’s challenges, operations and key accomplishments during the past year.
Patients living in rural areas can wait up to 30 minutes on average for EMS to arrive, whereas suburban or urban residents will wait up to an average of seven minutes.
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.