Pa. Experts Warn of Carbon Monoxide's Dangers

Pa. Experts Warn of Carbon Monoxide's Dangers

News Nov 02, 2012

Nov. 02--As temperatures drop and homeowners fire up their heating systems for the first time, some find out the hard way that those systems aren't working properly.

Burning or ventilation problems can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, cases of which typically spike in local emergency rooms after the cold weather arrives.

But this week the problems have been even more widespread, with a number of Berks County residents becoming ill from gasoline-powered generators and alternate heating sources during outages caused by the remnants of Hurricane Sandy.

On Wednesday alone, Reading Hospital treated at least a half-dozen carbon monoxide-poisoned patients, and St. Joseph Medical Center treated another, all related to blackouts from the storm. Most were from generator's, but one was from an outdoor grill being operated inside a home, officials said.

There also was the tragic case of Dick and Pauline Whitehead of Spring Township, who were overcome Wednesday by fumes from a generator in the garage attached to their son Kurt's house off Old Lancaster Pike in Spring Township.

Dick Whitehead, 86, was pronounced dead at the scene, and the coroner's office ruled he died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Pauline Whitehead, also 86, was in critical condition Thursday in the shock trauma center at the University of Maryland.

Their case shows just how serious carbon monoxide can be inside a home, said Coroner Dennis J. Hess.

"Everyone should remember it's the silent killer," he said.

Therefore it's crucial for generators to be run outdoors because they can quickly fill a confined space with carbon monoxide, preventing those inside from taking in enough oxygen, said Dr. Charles Barbera, chief of emergency medicine at Reading Hospital.

"It basically suffocates the cells in your body," he said.

Continue Reading

And because carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless, victims may not realize that's what's causing their symptoms, such as headaches, weakness, dizziness and nausea, he said. Some don't seek help and become unconscious.

Emergency rooms can treat most carbon monoxide poisoning cases with a mask to force oxygen into the patient, said Dr. Marc Lewbart, assistant director of emergency services for St. Joseph Medical Center.

He said one-third of moderate to severe cases can cause lasting cognitive problems or other neurological issues.

In those more serious cases, St. Joseph and Reading hospitals have hyperbaric chambers to treat patients.

Fire officials advise anyone operating a generator, fireplace, coal stove or unconventional heating source to have carbon monoxide detectors, which should be mounted according to the manufacturers' directions and have fresh batteries.

If a carbon monoxide alarm sounds, those in the home should get out and call 9-1-1 so medical personnel can examine them and fire crews can check the home, Barbera said.

Homeowners should place generators outside -- not in garages with the doors open -- and away from doors and windows because fumes can still seep in if those openings aren't completely sealed, said Nick Voutsas, department manager for The Home Depot in Exeter Township.

Homeowners should also make sure to buy the proper gauge extension cords for the generator and the appliances they'll power, he said.

Despite the potential dangers of generators, consumers shouldn't refrain from running them because they can be valuable assets during a blackout, Voutsas said.

"They're safe if you run them correctly," he said. "Just slow down, follow the directions, think about what you're doing and be safe about it."

Contact Mike Urban: 610-371-5023 or murban@readingeagle.com.

Copyright 2012 - Reading Eagle, Pa.

Source
Reading Eagle, Pa.
Mike Urban
Crestline Coach attended the Eighth Annual Saskatchewan Health & Safety Leadership conference on June 8 to publicly sign the “Mission: Zero” charter on behalf of the organization, its employees and their families.
ImageTrend, Inc. announced the winners of the 2017 Hooley Awards, which recognize those who are serving in a new or innovative way to meet the needs of their organization, including developing programs or solutions to benefit providers, administrators, or the community.
Firefighters trained with the local hospital in a drill involving a chemical spill, practicing a decontamination process and setting up a mass casualty tent for patient treatment.
Many oppose officials nationwide who propose limiting Narcan treatment on patients who overdose multiple times to save city dollars, saying it's their job to save lives, not to play God.
While it's unclear what exact substance they were exposed to while treating a patient for cardiac arrest, two paramedics, an EMT and a fire chief were observed at a hospital after experiencing high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, and mood changes.
After a forest fire broke out, students, residents and nursing home residents were evacuated and treated for light smoke inhalation before police started allowing people to return to their buildings.
AAA’s Stars of Life program celebrates the contributions of ambulance professionals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to their communities or the EMS profession.
Forthcoming events across the country will provide a forum for questions and ideas
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has released its 2016 Annual Report summarizing HCOHSEM’s challenges, operations and key accomplishments during the past year.
Patients living in rural areas can wait up to 30 minutes on average for EMS to arrive, whereas suburban or urban residents will wait up to an average of seven minutes.
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.