N.H. Woman Beats The Odds, Survives at Home Arrest

N.H. Woman Beats The Odds, Survives at Home Arrest

News Nov 14, 2012

Nov. 14--MANCHESTER -- Cynthia Pratte beat the odds last February when she suffered a cardiac arrest at home. Estimates of the survival rate for non-hospital cardiac arrest vary by organization, but the best estimate is still under 10 percent.

But everything came together perfectly for Pratte's survival.

Monday at the Manchester Fire Department Central Station, Pratte, her son Matthew, firefighters, AMR paramedics and the Elliot Hospital's EMS medical director gathered for a ceremony to celebrate Pratte's survival and the actions of those who helped make it possible.

Christopher Stawasz, AMR regional manager of community medicine, said Pratte's survival is cause for celebration and the awarding of special pins to those involved. He said his father's death from cardiac arrest 40 years ago, as he stood by helplessly, pushed him toward his chosen career.

Pratte, 52, who describes herself as a Type A personality dealing with lots of stress, was working as a nurse at an assisted living center and studying for a college degree when she suffered cardiac arrest Feb. 27.

"They found me with all my books," she said.

She said she didn't realize it at the time, but she had a classic symptom. She had gotten up and made coffee, but felt so tired that she decided to "lay down for a minute."

It was almost forever.

Pratte's son, Matt, who had gotten off the second shift at the Bow Police Department and was asleep in his bedroom with the door shut heard a noise that woke him.

"It was like a very loud moaning," said Matt.

Continue Reading

Matt went to check on his mother. She said she is amazed her son heard anything because her door was closed and a fan was on.

He thought she might be asleep.

"I shook her," he said, but there was no response.

"I wasn't 100 percent sure," he said, but he called 911 and, at the direction of the operator, began hands-only CPR.

It was just six months after he completed CPR training at the Police Standards and Training Academy. He knew he'd someday need to use that training but never thought it would be on his mother.

The paramedics and fire department personnel arrived and took over, with paramedics providing advanced cardiac life support procedures. Fire Lt. Kevin Healey said Matt was "calm, cool and collected."

Pratte said she can remember hearing a commotion around her, but that's all. No bright light or anything else.

Pratte was transported to Elliot Hospital, where the ER and cardiac staff worked on her.

"I woke up four days later," she said. She had been put into a medically induced coma and learned later that doctors had said it wouldn't be known until she woke up whether she had suffered brain damage.

After being released from the hospital, where she had been in intensive care, she was summoned back to the hospital for a test. That was the scariest part, she said, because a consequence of failing the test was another cardiac arrest.

Eventually, she underwent surgery and a defibrillator was implanted to prevent a recurrence.

She said she tries to put it out of her mind, but she was technically dead and has been told she suffers from post traumatic stress disorder. She still has an extremely emotional reaction when she hears sirens and sees emergency vehicles.

Mayor Ted Gatsas said children sometimes wonder how they can repay their mother for all she has done for them. In Matt's case, Gatsas said, "the repayment was incredible."

Pratte thanked the firefighters, paramedics and Dr. Tom D'Aprix.

"It's the first time I've met you. Fortunately, it's the second time you met me," she said. "Without you guys, I wouldn't be here."

The team of AMR paramedic Ryan Fedel, AMR EMT-Intermediate Jason Rapsis, Lt. Healey, and firefighters Brennan Pingree and Raymond Seddon worked together to save Pratte's life and get her to the Elliot, where the ER and cardiac teams took over.

- -- -- -- -- -- -- -

Dale Vincent may be reached at dvincent@unionleader.com.

Copyright 2012 - The New Hampshire Union Leader, Manchester

The New Hampshire Union Leader, Manchester
Dale Vincent
After a forest fire broke out, students, residents and nursing home residents were evacuated and treated for light smoke inhalation before police started allowing people to return to their buildings.
AAA’s Stars of Life program celebrates the contributions of ambulance professionals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to their communities or the EMS profession.
Forthcoming events across the country will provide a forum for questions and ideas
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has released its 2016 Annual Report summarizing HCOHSEM’s challenges, operations and key accomplishments during the past year.
Patients living in rural areas can wait up to 30 minutes on average for EMS to arrive, whereas suburban or urban residents will wait up to an average of seven minutes.
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.
The levy is projected to raise about $525,000 per year, and that money must be spent only on the Othello Hospital District ambulance service.
The IMRUA is hosting its biannual Congress in Poland Sept. 22–24.
In a conference about the opioid crisis, former Congressman Patrick Kennedy (and a former addict) pleads with the public to treat addiction as a disease, not a moral failure, and offer effective treatment accordingly.
The simulations involved having the medics crawl into tight spaces and practice intubation on patients who are difficult to reach.
The Commission on Accreditation of Ambulance Services is accepting grant applications from agencies to provide funding for receiving accreditation.
The Center for Patient Safety has announced its "EMS Patient Safety Boot Camp,"