Sulfur Odor in Pa. ED Prompts Ambulance Diversions
Nov. 15--Ambulances were diverted from St. Joseph Medical Center in Bern Township for about 30 minutes Wednesday night after workers in the emergency room reported smelling sulfur, according to Chief Brian Fisher of Greenfields Fire Company.
Firefighters responded to investigate shortly after 6:30, and within 30 minutes determined that the smell was coming from a battery that overheated inside a computer terminal in the emergency room intake area, Fisher said.
The terminal was taken out of the hospital and dismantled.
Fisher said emergency workers consulted with hospital staffers and they decided not to evacuate.
"The smell was in the hallway but not in any of the rooms," Fisher said. "And no one reported feeling nauseous."
The dispatchers sent ambulances to other hospitals because fire trucks were blocking the entrance to the emergency room while they worked there.
The building sustained no damage, and emergency services continued as usual, Fisher said.
Copyright 2012 - Reading Eagle, Pa.