Carbon Monoxide Suspected in Death at Md. Residence

Carbon Monoxide Suspected in Death at Md. Residence

News Nov 15, 2012

Carbon monoxide poisoning is being eyed following several incidents at a residence this week where one person died and others became ill.

On Thursday morning, crews from Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department responded to for two sick residents in an Oxon Hill.

It was the fourth call to the home on Wentworth Drive since Tuesday, officials said in a prepared statement.

The home did not have a carbon monoxide detector.

Although they had been to the residence several times, firefighters did not suspect carbon monoxide was to blame until this morning, fire officials said.

The events at the house started on Tuesday when a man in his 70s was taken to a hospital after complaining of feeling ill. On Wednesday, an ambulance crew transported a woman in her 70s.

Later the same day, another ambulance crew went to house to find a man in his 50s deceased. Officials said the man had a medical history, but didn’t specify the nature.

Officials said they don’t know if the gas was a factor in the death.

Crews were called back to the house Thursday morning after a neighbor called 911 for the same patients who were transported earlier in the week.

They were taken to a Baltimore hospital for treatment in a hyperbaric chamber.

Firefighters used their gas monitoring equipment and found a moderately high level, 80 parts per million (ppm), of CO. This reading was obtained after a neighbor opened doors to ventilate the house possibly reducing the amount of CO in the house before detection equipment was used, according to a prepared statement.

Continue Reading

Further investigation by firefighters revealed a natural gas furnace with what appeared to be a faulty exhaust pipe. The furnace was shut down and officials from the Washington Gas Company were summoned to the scene.

Firefighter/Medics had no reason to believe or suspect that carbon monoxide was a factor in any of the above incidents until this morning. However, the Fire/EMS Departments Quality Assurance office will conduct a complete review of each incident, officials said.

The Wentworth Drive home is located within the same community where five residents succumbed to CO exposure on Shelby Drive in April of this year. Firefighters went door-to-door offering to check or install smoke alarms and CO detectors. The Fire/EMS Department has also been offering to visit any Prince George’s County home and provide one or both of these life saving devices. This service is available by calling our Safety First program at 301-864-SAFE (7233).

EMSWorld.com News
Crestline Coach attended the Eighth Annual Saskatchewan Health & Safety Leadership conference on June 8 to publicly sign the “Mission: Zero” charter on behalf of the organization, its employees and their families.
ImageTrend, Inc. announced the winners of the 2017 Hooley Awards, which recognize those who are serving in a new or innovative way to meet the needs of their organization, including developing programs or solutions to benefit providers, administrators, or the community.
Firefighters trained with the local hospital in a drill involving a chemical spill, practicing a decontamination process and setting up a mass casualty tent for patient treatment.
Many oppose officials nationwide who propose limiting Narcan treatment on patients who overdose multiple times to save city dollars, saying it's their job to save lives, not to play God.
While it's unclear what exact substance they were exposed to while treating a patient for cardiac arrest, two paramedics, an EMT and a fire chief were observed at a hospital after experiencing high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, and mood changes.
After a forest fire broke out, students, residents and nursing home residents were evacuated and treated for light smoke inhalation before police started allowing people to return to their buildings.
AAA’s Stars of Life program celebrates the contributions of ambulance professionals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to their communities or the EMS profession.
Forthcoming events across the country will provide a forum for questions and ideas
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has released its 2016 Annual Report summarizing HCOHSEM’s challenges, operations and key accomplishments during the past year.
Patients living in rural areas can wait up to 30 minutes on average for EMS to arrive, whereas suburban or urban residents will wait up to an average of seven minutes.
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.