Four Utah Boys Badly Burned in Gasoline Fire

Four Utah Boys Badly Burned in Gasoline Fire

News Nov 16, 2012

Nov. 16--PERRY -- Cody Neilson said he was in the right place at the right time to quickly put out a gasoline fire that seriously injured four boys Thursday afternoon in Perry.

"I'm just glad they're not too bad," he said Thursday afternoon at the scene of the blaze, regarding initial reports of the boy's injuries.

The boys were burned about 2:30 p.m. in the fire that originated around several plastic gasoline containers at the northeast corner of a home at 2280 S. Linda Way.

A fifth boy involved in the incident was not seriously injured and didn't require hospitalization, Perry Police Sgt. Scott Hancey said Thursday night.

As of late Thursday night, one boy remained in critical condition, another was in serious condition and the two remaining boys were in good condition, said Phil Sahm, spokesman for the University of Utah Hospital.

The boys were initially taken to Brigham City Community Hospital. Two of the boys were transferred by a medical helicopter to the University of Utah Hospital Burn Center, while the other two were taken to that facility by ambulance, Hancey said.

University of Utah Hospital officials confirmed that the boys are ages 7 to 10.

The incident occurred while the boys were walking home from Three Mile Creek Elementary School.

They saw the gas containers outside of the home, Hancey said, and one of the boys apparently used a lighter to start the accidental fire.

"They were just horsing around," he added. "They got injured pretty bad. It was a mess."

Continue Reading

None of the boys resided at the home where the fire started, said neighbors. The owners of the house declined to talk to reporters Thursday evening, and gas containers remained outside of their dwelling.

Blake Glover, of Perry, is the grandfather of 7-year-old Tayton Windward, who he said sustained the worst injuries among the group of boys. He has second-degree burns on his face and third-degree burns on his arms and hands and will need a skin graft, Glover said.

Glover said Tayton and his family have been living with him temporarily.

Glover said he saw ambulances driving through the neighborhood and was phoned by Tayton's mother about the fire. Tayton ran home after the fire and was taken by his mother to the hospital. Glover described the fire as a tragic accident.

"They saw the gas cans and thought it was fun, not knowing what they were getting into," he said. "Boys and fire, they are fascinated by it."

The names of the other boys were not released.

Neilson, who lives at 2270 S. Linda Way, next door to the house, said he was inside his home when he heard a loud boom.

"I came running outside and saw kids running around," Neilson said.

One of the boys had burns to his face and singed eyebrows, and the other had burns to his leg, he said, adding the two other boys had run off.

Neilson said he stomped out the fire that burned some grass and then tried to help a neighbor comfort the two injured boys.

Luckily, a UPS driver was passing by, spotted the fire and called 911, said Perry Mayor Jerry Nelson.

Police and fire units, along with ambulances, responded.

Copyright 2012 - Standard-Examiner, Ogden, Utah

Source
Standard-Examiner, Ogden, Utah
Scott Schwebke and Charles F. Trentelman
Avaya plans to honor the Texas Commission as it sees the adoption of Kari’s Law build across the country, a law which would mandate any company or organization with multi-line telephone systems to provide direct-dial access to 9-1-1.
The company achieves a milestone of its first U.S. regulatory filing for a medical device which would aid in hemostasis and wound care.
Senators will have to vote on multiple amendments on the health care repeal bill.
County commissioners decided to write off over $5 million in uncollectible ambulance bills owed by residents, an amount that has been building since the 1940s.
The amount of deaths caused by substance abuse and mental health issues in the first half of 2017 have surpassed the total deaths of 2016.

The raging wildfires have forced 10,000 residents to evacuate their homes. 

For the first time in my EMS career, I froze.
The two agencies compete for ticket votes from blood donors to raise awareness for the increased need for blood during the summer.
Los Angeles firefighters and law enforcement are "resource rich" in nuclear threat preparation, like specialized trucks with advanced sensors for radiation levels, says the emergency operations commander.

Lee County, Fla. EMS will soon have its own substation in North Fort Myers. Chiefs for the North Fort Myers Fire District and Lee County EMS said it was time for a change because of overcrowding. 

EMS professionals are all taught to look for a MedicAlert bracelet or a necklace. This simple step has become much more complex in the information age, and we may not realize for what and where to look.
The drill involving over 200 people put multiple first responder agencies to the test.
The training was based on lessons learned from the Columbine shooting and taught school employees safety and security measures.
One third of the state's record-high 376 overdose deaths that occurred last year were caused by prescribed painkillers.
The training will be focused on prescribing buprenorphine, the drug used to assist patients in quitting their opiate addiction and relieve withdrawal symptoms.