Generator Sickens Three in RV on Long Island, N.Y.

Generator Sickens Three in RV on Long Island, N.Y.

News Nov 17, 2012

Nov. 17--Three men in their 20s were taken to the hospital early Saturday morning with carbon-monoxide poisoning, Nassau County police said.

The men -- ages 20, 21, and 22 -- were asleep inside their recreational vehicle, parked in the Sunrise Mall parking lot in Massapequa when they began to feel ill from carbon-monoxide poisoning about 3 a.m. They are employees of CNY Restoration and Development of Syracuse, police said.

The generator on board was apparently not ventilated properly, causing dangerous fumes to enter the sleeping area, police said.

Nassau County police ambulance, with the assistance of the Massapequa Fire Department, took all three victims to a hospital for evaluation and treatment.

Injuries are not life-threatening, police said.

Copyright 2012 - Newsday

Candice Ferrette
Avaya plans to honor the Texas Commission as it sees the adoption of Kari’s Law build across the country, a law which would mandate any company or organization with multi-line telephone systems to provide direct-dial access to 9-1-1.
The company achieves a milestone of its first U.S. regulatory filing for a medical device which would aid in hemostasis and wound care.
Senators will have to vote on multiple amendments on the health care repeal bill.
County commissioners decided to write off over $5 million in uncollectible ambulance bills owed by residents, an amount that has been building since the 1940s.
The amount of deaths caused by substance abuse and mental health issues in the first half of 2017 have surpassed the total deaths of 2016.

The raging wildfires have forced 10,000 residents to evacuate their homes. 

For the first time in my EMS career, I froze.
The two agencies compete for ticket votes from blood donors to raise awareness for the increased need for blood during the summer.
Los Angeles firefighters and law enforcement are "resource rich" in nuclear threat preparation, like specialized trucks with advanced sensors for radiation levels, says the emergency operations commander.

Lee County, Fla. EMS will soon have its own substation in North Fort Myers. Chiefs for the North Fort Myers Fire District and Lee County EMS said it was time for a change because of overcrowding. 

EMS professionals are all taught to look for a MedicAlert bracelet or a necklace. This simple step has become much more complex in the information age, and we may not realize for what and where to look.
The drill involving over 200 people put multiple first responder agencies to the test.
The training was based on lessons learned from the Columbine shooting and taught school employees safety and security measures.
One third of the state's record-high 376 overdose deaths that occurred last year were caused by prescribed painkillers.
The training will be focused on prescribing buprenorphine, the drug used to assist patients in quitting their opiate addiction and relieve withdrawal symptoms.