Utah Girl Impaled by Curtain Rod Dies

Utah Girl Impaled by Curtain Rod Dies

News Nov 20, 2012

PLEASANT VIEW, Weber County -- The 11-year-old girl who was impaled by a curtain rod over the weekend passed away Monday evening.

Chris Dallin, a spokesman with McKay-Dee Hospital Center, confirmed that Nichole Gail Clark died, but he could not comment further on the nature of her injuries.Earlier Monday, a family spokeswoman said the girl had been declared brain dead.

Nikki was climbing an outside flight of stairs to her house Saturday while carrying a curtain rod when she accidentally fell, according to a Facebook post from her aunt and family spokeswoman Brandi Babbitt.

The rod pierced her chest and came out through her neck, Babbitt said. Police said the girl was able to get inside her home near 2491 N. U.S. 89 in Pleasant View and alert family members, who called for an ambulance.

"Your first reaction when that happens, of course, is to pull it out," Babbitt said. "She walked in her house and pulled it out, and she immediately bled out within two minutes."

Nikki underwent surgery Saturday at McKay-Dee. The girl was in such bad shape Monday that Babbitt said she was too fragile to move to Primary Children's Medical Center.

"It's a bad time of year, and especially for a child. You wouldn't wish that on anyone, and for that to be happening to us, it's hard," an emotional Babbitt said.

A trust fund has been set up at U.S. Bank to help the family with medical and other expenses.

Pat Reavy Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam

Copyright 2012 The Deseret News Publishing Co.

Continue Reading

Source
Deseret Morning News (Salt Lake City)
Pat Reavy, Deseret News
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.
The levy is projected to raise about $525,000 per year, and that money must be spent only on the Othello Hospital District ambulance service.
The IMRUA is hosting its biannual Congress in Poland Sept. 22–24.
In a conference about the opioid crisis, former Congressman Patrick Kennedy (and a former addict) pleads with the public to treat addiction as a disease, not a moral failure, and offer effective treatment accordingly.
The simulations involved having the medics crawl into tight spaces and practice intubation on patients who are difficult to reach.
The Commission on Accreditation of Ambulance Services is accepting grant applications from agencies to provide funding for receiving accreditation.
The Center for Patient Safety has announced its "EMS Patient Safety Boot Camp,"
The associations hope to reinforce the use of mobile phones and apps to connect nearby CPR-trained citizens and off-duty professional responders.
Register for this year's Pediatric EMS Conference to improve your ability to provide care to young patients and receive continuing education credits.
Public safety agencies across the country turn to a leader in cost-effective rugged device solutions.

Stuttgart, Germany, July 18, 2017 (Newswire.com) — ECG-Guard is a new wearable personal monitoring device that is designed to help users track their heart function and other important health metrics. It offers Bluetooth connectivity so that users can export their data to the convenient mobile app for easy monitoring.

A family of four adults and five children died when a flash flood swept them away from the riverbank where they were relaxing.