Two Mississippi Kids Burned in Fire Pit Mishap

Two Mississippi Kids Burned in Fire Pit Mishap

News Nov 27, 2012

Nov. 27--HARRISON COUNTY -- Two Harrison County children were flown to an out-of-state burn center over the weekend after they were burned in an apparent mishap with a fire pit at their home.

County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan said an 8-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy were taken by their parents to Memorial Hospital at Gulfport on Saturday afternoon.

Their father reported a fire pit was burning outside their home, and he went inside and heard an explosion, and found the siblings burned, Sullivan said.

"From what we've been able to piece together, there was an old gas can sitting next to the house," Sullivan said.

The children were flown around midnight Saturday to a burn center in Augusta, Ga.

The family lives on Smith Road off Canal Road, he said.

The children remained in critical condition Monday, Sullivan said.

Copyright 2012 - The Sun Herald

The Sun Herald
Robin Fitzgerald
While it's unclear what exact substance they were exposed to while treating a patient for cardiac arrest, two paramedics, an EMT and a fire chief were observed at a hospital after experiencing high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, and mood changes.
After a forest fire broke out, students, residents and nursing home residents were evacuated and treated for light smoke inhalation before police started allowing people to return to their buildings.
AAA’s Stars of Life program celebrates the contributions of ambulance professionals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to their communities or the EMS profession.
Forthcoming events across the country will provide a forum for questions and ideas
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has released its 2016 Annual Report summarizing HCOHSEM’s challenges, operations and key accomplishments during the past year.
Patients living in rural areas can wait up to 30 minutes on average for EMS to arrive, whereas suburban or urban residents will wait up to an average of seven minutes.
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.
The levy is projected to raise about $525,000 per year, and that money must be spent only on the Othello Hospital District ambulance service.
The IMRUA is hosting its biannual Congress in Poland Sept. 22–24.
In a conference about the opioid crisis, former Congressman Patrick Kennedy (and a former addict) pleads with the public to treat addiction as a disease, not a moral failure, and offer effective treatment accordingly.
The simulations involved having the medics crawl into tight spaces and practice intubation on patients who are difficult to reach.
The Commission on Accreditation of Ambulance Services is accepting grant applications from agencies to provide funding for receiving accreditation.