Ga. Fountain Eyed in Electrocution, Shock Incidents
Nov. 28--AMERICUS -- Electrocution has been determined as the cause of death of Adriana Rhine, the 19 year-old South Georgia Technical College (SGTC) student who died on campus September 27. Sumter County Coroner Greg Hancock notified the Times-Recorder Tuesday that the autopsy results were back from the State Crime Lab in Atlanta and electrocution was named as the cause of death.
On September 27 the Sumter County Sheriff's Department responded to a "possible drowning" at SGTC. A young woman was pulled from the fountain in front of the Pope Center and was taken by ambulance to Phoebe Sumter Medical Center's ER, but died as a result of her injury.
Rhine's three-year-old daughter was also pulled from the fountain and was found uninjured.
In August, a similar incident occurred when another female student, who was pushing her child in a stroller, slipped and fell in the fountain and suffered electrical shock. The student declined to go to the emergency room but elected to see her personal physician after experiencing burning in her hands and feet. Her child was not injured.
Following that incident, SGTC President Sparky Reeves said the fountain was drained and cleaned and maintenance personnel checked for electrical and mechanical problems.
Reeves was contacted Monday for comment. He said "South Georgia Technical College is unable to comment on the accident at this time based on pending litigation."
Copyright 2012 - Americus Times-Recorder, Ga.