Fired Conn. Cop Gets Five Years for Fatal Cruiser Crash

Fired Conn. Cop Gets Five Years for Fatal Cruiser Crash

News Jan 17, 2013

Jan. 17--MILFORD -- Fired city police Officer Jason R. Anderson was sentenced Wednesday afternoon to 10 years in prison, suspended after five years served, for the deaths of two Orange teens.

Within the hour, Anderson had posted $50,000 surety bond set by Judge Denise Markle and was out on appeal.

Anderson's attorney, Hugh F. Keefe of New Haven, said the case before a three-judge panel in Hartford would probably take a year or more.

Anderson, 37, stood trial in November on two counts of second-degree manslaughter, but was found guilty of a lesser charge, misconduct with a motor vehicle. He also was convicted of reckless driving.

Anderson was traveling 94 mph at 2:15 a.m. June 13, 2009, on Boston Post Road in Orange when his cruiser hit a car driven by David Servin. Servin and passenger Ashlie Krakowski, both 19, were killed.

Anderson was not answering an emergency call at the time.

Servin's blood-alcohol concentration was seven times over the legal limit as he tried to turn left from the Post Road onto Dogwood Road.

Courtroom D was packed Wednesday with family and friends, including a half-dozen city police officers.

The hearing, which Keefe had expected to run up to two hours, took all day. The prosecution presented 12 people who spoke of the impact of the teens' deaths and five who spoke to Anderson's character.

At sentencing, Markle noted Anderson is a devoted father and volunteer, but committed one reckless, criminal act.

Continue Reading

The five years was one more than State's Attorney Kevin D. Lawlor had sought, but was "within range," he said afterward.

Anderson also must serve three years of probation, during which he must pay $2,000 annually to scholarship funds in the teens' names and provide driver training at the state police academy.

As Markle passed sentence, Ashlie's grandmother, Lois Krakowski of Orange, nodded her head and smiled slightly.

The day was filled with tear-choked testimony. Anderson, at the defendant's table, turned and faced each person who spoke at the nearby lectern.


Servin's mother, Susan, said losing her son means "the constant presence of an absence."

"It's time to send this convicted felon to jail," Servin said of Anderson.

Krakowski's father, Kenny, read from a paper she wrote, in which she said she is an EMT and expects to retire to Florida "after achieving greatness."

Krakowski showed Markle a New York Rangers shirt signed by all the players.

Krakowski said Anderson was "bullied" into an ambulance first on the night of the accident, while his daughter "was still alive."

He asked Markle to sentence Anderson to 101/2 years in prison.

Their lives will never be the same, Ashlie Krakowski's grandmother, Lois Krakowski of Orange, said.

"I'm an old lady," she said. "She was absolutely beautiful."

Relatives and friends recalled family gatherings, one saying that Servin was a "good kid," student, musician and sportsman.

Many spoke of lost opportunities for careers, children and grandchildren.


When it was her turn at the lectern, Anderson's mother, Geraldine, told the court, "I am Jason Anderson's mom."

She told Markle that Jason is the youngest of five children, the one with "the million-dollar smile."

Geraldine Anderson recounted her son's many acts of kindness and said he is "not a criminal." He is a "good person" who belongs at home with his family.

"I am proud to be your mother. I will love and support you until the day I die," she told him. She hugged Anderson at the defense table and then sat down.

Anderson's wife, Maria, recounted her husband's sleepless nights in the wake of the accident.

Keefe said Anderson's mental health has suffered. He has an acute stress disorder as a result of the accident, and a high level of anxiety about driving.

"His flashbacks continue," Keefe said.

Keefe cited Anderson's record of volunteering, including at Ground Zero and the Special Olympics, and exemplary record on the city and Darien police departments.

Keefe said 91 character letters were submitted to the judge in support of Anderson.

A former colleague, city police Sgt. Douglas Youd, told the judge that Anderson is a good family man, an honorable man and a very good friend.

Finally, police Detective Sgt. Richard Anderson stepped up to the lectern. He paused to compose himself as he spoke of his brother, who "will never be the same."

"You are not taking a violent man off the street," Richard Anderson said.

He called the accident an "absolute tragedy."

Richard Anderson turned to the Krakowski and Servin families and extended his "deepest condolences," saying if given the chance, he would certainly go back and change what happened.


In arguing for the sentence, Lawlor asked: Why do good people do bad things?

He said everyone needs to be punished appropriately. "These two kids were wiped off the map in the blink of an eye," Lawlor said. "Anderson protected no one, he served no one."

Anderson's actions were "blatant disregard" of the law, and he endangered everyone on the Post Road. Anderson's police cruiser that night became a "cruise missile," Lawlor said.

After the proceedings, Keefe said he hopes to get the appellate court "to do what the trial court did not do," and rule that one of the teens was an intervening cause of the crash.

An "intervening cause" is unforeseeable, but sufficiently powerful, and relieves Anderson of all criminal responsibility, Keefe has argued.

Keefe began the morning by presenting a motion to acquit, which was denied by Markle.

Keefe also raised objections to some letters in the state's pre-sentencing report that he labeled as "anti-police editorializing" and painted cops as "irresponsible cowboys."

The Servin family received a $2.5 million settlement from the city, while Milford paid the Krakowski estate $3.5 million. The Krakowski estate also received $500,000 from the Servin estate.

Call Phyllis Swebilius at 203-789-5681.

Copyright 2013 - New Haven Register, Conn.

New Haven Register, Conn.
Phyllis Swebilius
Crestline Coach attended the Eighth Annual Saskatchewan Health & Safety Leadership conference on June 8 to publicly sign the “Mission: Zero” charter on behalf of the organization, its employees and their families.
ImageTrend, Inc. announced the winners of the 2017 Hooley Awards, which recognize those who are serving in a new or innovative way to meet the needs of their organization, including developing programs or solutions to benefit providers, administrators, or the community.
Firefighters trained with the local hospital in a drill involving a chemical spill, practicing a decontamination process and setting up a mass casualty tent for patient treatment.
Many oppose officials nationwide who propose limiting Narcan treatment on patients who overdose multiple times to save city dollars, saying it's their job to save lives, not to play God.
While it's unclear what exact substance they were exposed to while treating a patient for cardiac arrest, two paramedics, an EMT and a fire chief were observed at a hospital after experiencing high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, and mood changes.
After a forest fire broke out, students, residents and nursing home residents were evacuated and treated for light smoke inhalation before police started allowing people to return to their buildings.
AAA’s Stars of Life program celebrates the contributions of ambulance professionals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to their communities or the EMS profession.
Forthcoming events across the country will provide a forum for questions and ideas
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has released its 2016 Annual Report summarizing HCOHSEM’s challenges, operations and key accomplishments during the past year.
Patients living in rural areas can wait up to 30 minutes on average for EMS to arrive, whereas suburban or urban residents will wait up to an average of seven minutes.
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.