Two Dead From Apparent CO Poisoning in Pa. Home

Two Dead From Apparent CO Poisoning in Pa. Home

News Jan 20, 2013

Two men died on Saturday night from an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in a Clairton home, authorities said.

Rescuers needed more than an hour to clear the house on the 300 block of Mitchell Avenue of the deadly, odorless, colorless gas before they could enter, said Clairton Fire Chief John Lattanzi.

The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office identified the victims as William Chapman, 56, the homeowner, and his longtime friend Gary Townsend, 47, also of Clairton.

Autopsies will be performed on Sunday, the medical examiner's office said.

Lattanzi was unable to identify the source of the carbon monoxide, but said that "99 percent of the time it's the furnace."

No one else was in the two-story brick home at the time, he said.

Chapman had lots of family in Clairton and "got along with everybody," his nephew George Chapman said.

He hosted cookouts for his many nearby cousins and other family members, he said.

Terry Lee, who lived beside William Chapman for the last five years, described him as "a very nice guy."

Emergency responders arrived on the scene about 5 p.m., Lattanzi said.

Continue Reading

As soon as they opened the front door, a hazardous gas detector on the responder's medical bag sounded, he said.

Copyright 2013 - The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Source
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Alex Nixon
A leading healthcare Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and data provider taps a marketing veteran to support Its rapid growth.
The girl happened to crash into the back of an FDNY ambulance, whose crew members got out and helped her stop the car and revived her father with Narcan.
The 25-year-old woman was found overdosing in her bathroom along with her young son, who needed several doses of Narcan to become responsive and was later discovered to have fentanyl and methamphetamine in his system.
The QuikLitter Lite is designed to be lightweight and compact so multiple litters can be carried simultaneously to a scene.
The highly skilled team members practiced drills inside a local school in preparation for a possible active shooter situation.
Any first responders who are permanently disabled due to injuries that occurred in the line of duty are eligible for a property tax exemption following an amendment to the state's constitution passed last year.
Pulsara has been selected as one of the finalist's in Fierce Innovation Awards for its product Prehospital Alerting Package, an app that allows EMS providers to send patient information to the emergency department en route to the hospital for patient care optimization.
The Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management conducted an exercise for the county's Emergency Operations Center's protocol for recovery efforts following a category 4 hurricane.
Avaya plans to honor the Texas Commission as it sees the adoption of Kari’s Law build across the country, a law which would mandate any company or organization with multi-line telephone systems to provide direct-dial access to 9-1-1.
The company achieves a milestone of its first U.S. regulatory filing for a medical device which would aid in hemostasis and wound care.
Senators will have to vote on multiple amendments on the health care repeal bill.
County commissioners decided to write off over $5 million in uncollectible ambulance bills owed by residents, an amount that has been building since the 1940s.
The amount of deaths caused by substance abuse and mental health issues in the first half of 2017 have surpassed the total deaths of 2016.

The raging wildfires have forced 10,000 residents to evacuate their homes. 

For the first time in my EMS career, I froze.