Boston Terrier Saves Md. Owner from CO Poisoning

Boston Terrier Saves Md. Owner from CO Poisoning

News Jan 25, 2013

GERMANTOWN, MD ( WUSA ) --- A 35-year-old Germantown woman believes she is alive because her pet Boston Terrier woke her Tuesday Night as her condo was filling with poisonous carbon monoxide gas coming from a car which had been left running in a garage beneath her apartment.

Williasmson rolled out of bed after Kayla woke her up, but found herself weaving as she tried to walk. She felt nauseous, and fell outside her bathroom door. It convinced her to overcome her reservations about calling for help.

"Somehow was able to call 9-11. I know that the answers that i gave them ( were confused). I kept think oh my God, what is my address? How old am I? What is my name? And I realized then that this is serious, that I can't answer these questions easily," she told WUSA-9.

"This is my angel, and this is my baby girl, and she knew something was wrong and she was trying to tell her mommy to wake up. She saved my life and, probably, the life of many other people in my condo complex because no one else called," she said.

Williamson says the experience has given her a new mission: to convince people to put carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.

"It's such an inexpensive investment to have detectors. Obviously, I did not have one and it could have cost me my life. According to some of the doctors within five minutes if I hadn't have gotten out of there you would be having an interview with my mom about her daughter being dead," Williamson said.

 

Republished with permission of WUSA9.

WUSA9.com
Crestline Coach attended the Eighth Annual Saskatchewan Health & Safety Leadership conference on June 8 to publicly sign the “Mission: Zero” charter on behalf of the organization, its employees and their families.
ImageTrend, Inc. announced the winners of the 2017 Hooley Awards, which recognize those who are serving in a new or innovative way to meet the needs of their organization, including developing programs or solutions to benefit providers, administrators, or the community.
Firefighters trained with the local hospital in a drill involving a chemical spill, practicing a decontamination process and setting up a mass casualty tent for patient treatment.
Many oppose officials nationwide who propose limiting Narcan treatment on patients who overdose multiple times to save city dollars, saying it's their job to save lives, not to play God.
While it's unclear what exact substance they were exposed to while treating a patient for cardiac arrest, two paramedics, an EMT and a fire chief were observed at a hospital after experiencing high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, and mood changes.
After a forest fire broke out, students, residents and nursing home residents were evacuated and treated for light smoke inhalation before police started allowing people to return to their buildings.
AAA’s Stars of Life program celebrates the contributions of ambulance professionals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to their communities or the EMS profession.
Forthcoming events across the country will provide a forum for questions and ideas
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has released its 2016 Annual Report summarizing HCOHSEM’s challenges, operations and key accomplishments during the past year.
Patients living in rural areas can wait up to 30 minutes on average for EMS to arrive, whereas suburban or urban residents will wait up to an average of seven minutes.
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.
The levy is projected to raise about $525,000 per year, and that money must be spent only on the Othello Hospital District ambulance service.