Nine at Minn. Sorority House Treated for CO Inhalation

Nine at Minn. Sorority House Treated for CO Inhalation

News Feb 08, 2013

Feb. 08--Elevated carbon monoxide levels at a St. Cloud State University sorority house sent nine people to the hospital early Wednesday.

The house at 611 Eighth Ave. S had to be evacuated until the source of the problem was fixed. The people in the house at the time were treated and released from the hospital.

Police and firefighters were called after a doctor at St. Cloud Hospital detected elevated carbon monoxide levels in a tenant who went to the emergency room, said St. Cloud Police Sgt. Jason Burke. Rescuers went to the house about 1 a.m. Wednesday and found carbon monoxide levels that could have been dangerous with long enough exposure, said Mike Post, St. Cloud's fire marshal.

The fire department was called to the same house about a week earlier for a report of a gas smell but were unable to find anything, Post said. When firefighters went there Wednesday, they found carbon monoxide levels at 190 parts per million, Post said.

"That's enough to cause flu-like symptoms," he said.

One suspected cause was a clogged vent line in a water heater, Post said, and the owner of the house replaced the water heater Thursday. The tenants have returned to the house, and the owner added more carbon monoxide detectors and replaced batteries in some that weren't functioning properly, Post said.

Post encouraged people with carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to test them, know how long they are made to last and change batteries often.

"This could have been a potentially dangerous situation," Post said.

Copyright 2013 - St. Cloud Times, Minn.

Source
St. Cloud Times, Minn.
David Unze
Crestline Coach attended the Eighth Annual Saskatchewan Health & Safety Leadership conference on June 8 to publicly sign the “Mission: Zero” charter on behalf of the organization, its employees and their families.
ImageTrend, Inc. announced the winners of the 2017 Hooley Awards, which recognize those who are serving in a new or innovative way to meet the needs of their organization, including developing programs or solutions to benefit providers, administrators, or the community.
Firefighters trained with the local hospital in a drill involving a chemical spill, practicing a decontamination process and setting up a mass casualty tent for patient treatment.
Many oppose officials nationwide who propose limiting Narcan treatment on patients who overdose multiple times to save city dollars, saying it's their job to save lives, not to play God.
While it's unclear what exact substance they were exposed to while treating a patient for cardiac arrest, two paramedics, an EMT and a fire chief were observed at a hospital after experiencing high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, and mood changes.
After a forest fire broke out, students, residents and nursing home residents were evacuated and treated for light smoke inhalation before police started allowing people to return to their buildings.
AAA’s Stars of Life program celebrates the contributions of ambulance professionals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to their communities or the EMS profession.
Forthcoming events across the country will provide a forum for questions and ideas
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has released its 2016 Annual Report summarizing HCOHSEM’s challenges, operations and key accomplishments during the past year.
Patients living in rural areas can wait up to 30 minutes on average for EMS to arrive, whereas suburban or urban residents will wait up to an average of seven minutes.
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.
The levy is projected to raise about $525,000 per year, and that money must be spent only on the Othello Hospital District ambulance service.