Hawaii Security Guard Injures Son While Cleaning Rifle

Hawaii Security Guard Injures Son While Cleaning Rifle

News Feb 25, 2013

A Salt Lake man was cleaning his rifle early Saturday when it went off, sending a bullet into his condo ceiling and sharp shards into his young son's shoulder.

An ambulance took the boy, 3, to the hospital in serious condition.

"My job is to defend and protect my family," the distraught father, Marwin Juan, said Saturday. "It killed me inside."

Juan, 40, a former armored car service employee and security guard, said he normally takes great care with his guns. Not only has he taken gun safety classes, he said, but he has been certified to carry a gun for work.

Juan said he normally cleans his guns on the lanai of his fifth-floor condominium at Lake Shore Tower, but decided to clean his rifle in the living room because it was cold and windy outside. His three kids were across the room,

The rifle had no ammunition clip attached, he said.

"I assumed it was empty, but one was in the chamber," he said, recalling the last time he used it was Feb. 17 at the Koko Head range. "To clear it, you have to pull the trigger. I pulled the trigger."

"Chaos" ensued, he said.

He quickly tended to his wounded boy, stopping the bleeding with an ice pack.

But his other two children, 12 and 13, were "freaking out," he said. His wife came out of the shower and called 911.

Continue Reading

Juan said his son's condition has stabilized and he remained hospitalized Saturday afternoon.

Police arrested Juan at 1:45 a.m. on suspicion of first-degree reckless endangering, but released him at about 2 p.m. without charges. The prosecutor's office declined to pursue the case.

Shortly after his release, Juan returned home, pained that all three of his children were hurt by his actions.

"I'm not going to do this in front of them no more," he said. "I'm seriously considering selling my guns."

Neighbors say Juan is a caring parent.

"He's always with his kids, and he takes good care of them," Melanie Arneson said. "He's a good father. It's tragic, but accidents do happen."

Other neighbors at 2920 Ala Ilima St. said news of the accident has alarmed them and left them wondering whether it could have endangered others. The 16-story building has six units on each floor.

"It's a building, not like a regular house," said longtime resident Amy Tsuru, 72. "And he was doing it in front of the children?"

She said she wonders how many others in the building might have firearms.

Resident manager Art Williams said there are no firearms restrictions in the building's policies.

But he added, "I believe nobody should be allowed to have a gun."

Copyright 2013 - The Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Source
The Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Leila Fujimori
Crestline Coach attended the Eighth Annual Saskatchewan Health & Safety Leadership conference on June 8 to publicly sign the “Mission: Zero” charter on behalf of the organization, its employees and their families.
ImageTrend, Inc. announced the winners of the 2017 Hooley Awards, which recognize those who are serving in a new or innovative way to meet the needs of their organization, including developing programs or solutions to benefit providers, administrators, or the community.
Firefighters trained with the local hospital in a drill involving a chemical spill, practicing a decontamination process and setting up a mass casualty tent for patient treatment.
Many oppose officials nationwide who propose limiting Narcan treatment on patients who overdose multiple times to save city dollars, saying it's their job to save lives, not to play God.
While it's unclear what exact substance they were exposed to while treating a patient for cardiac arrest, two paramedics, an EMT and a fire chief were observed at a hospital after experiencing high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, and mood changes.
After a forest fire broke out, students, residents and nursing home residents were evacuated and treated for light smoke inhalation before police started allowing people to return to their buildings.
AAA’s Stars of Life program celebrates the contributions of ambulance professionals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in service to their communities or the EMS profession.
Forthcoming events across the country will provide a forum for questions and ideas
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has released its 2016 Annual Report summarizing HCOHSEM’s challenges, operations and key accomplishments during the past year.
Patients living in rural areas can wait up to 30 minutes on average for EMS to arrive, whereas suburban or urban residents will wait up to an average of seven minutes.
Tony Spadaro immediately started performing CPR on his wife, Donna, when she went into cardiac arrest, contributing to her survival coupled with the quick response of the local EMS team, who administered an AED shock to restore her heartbeat.
Sunstar Paramedics’ clinical services department and employee Stephen Glatstein received statewide awards.
A Good Samaritan, Jeremy English, flagged down a passing police officer asking him for Narcan after realizing the passengers in the parked car he stopped to help were overdosing on synthetic cannabinoids.
Family and fellow firefighters and paramedics mourn the loss of Todd Middendorf, 46, called "one of the cornerstones" of the department.
The levy is projected to raise about $525,000 per year, and that money must be spent only on the Othello Hospital District ambulance service.