Pa. 14-Year-Old Saves His Dad by Performing CPR

Pa. 14-Year-Old Saves His Dad by Performing CPR

News Feb 11, 2016

Feb. 10--Teenagers rarely get to be heroes. But Daniel Lozano, 14, earned that honor early Dec. 27, 2015, in his Hazleton home.

Around 4:30 a.m., the eight-grader heard Mirian, his mother, screaming his father's name.

Francisco, 45, lay unconscious on the bed -- pale, still, with no pulse.

Shaken and desperate, Mirian had called 911.

"I told her to calm down and started CPR," Daniel says matter-of-factly in his deep adult-sounding voice.

He jumped on the bed, clasped his hands flat in the center of his father's chest and did a series of fast compressions. Then he locked his open mouth onto Francisco's and blew strongly into it several times. Daniel says he recalls seeing CPR done on TV, but never had formal instructions.

He continued until the police and EMS arrived. They shocked Francisco to jumpstart his heart, then rushed him to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Hazleton. He was shocked again in the ER, then taken by ambulance to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest.

In the cardiac catheterization lab at LVH-Cedar Crest, cardiologist Nainesh Patel, MD, inserted thin tubes and wires into Francisco's heart to examine it, finding an abnormal heart muscle that likely caused the cardiac arrest.

Because his heart had stopped, Francisco was chilled for 24 hours to help his brain begin to heal.

A small device was implanted in Francisco's chest and wired to his heart to restart it should it ever happen again. He made a full recovery due to the fast actions by his son and the first responders.

Continue Reading

"Daniel saved his father's life," Patel says. "He's a real hero."

Lehigh Valley Health Network released information on the Lozanos' harrowing experience for the first time Wednesday.

Read the full story in Thursday's Standard-Speaker.

Copyright 2016 - Standard-Speaker, Hazleton, Pa.

Standard-Speaker, Hazleton, Pa.
Dr. Vincent Duron from the Columbia University Medical Center in New York received a $100,000 research grant to enhance standard pediatric trauma care.
The First Responders-Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act Grant will provide training and other resources to assist paramedics, law enforcement and health workers to prevent and treat opioid addiction.
The quake ironically struck on the anniversary of a 1985 earthquake that killed thousands of people in Mexico City.

A bus driver with a record of drunk driving crashed into another bus after speeding through an intersection in Queens, New York City, resulting in 3 deaths and multiple seriously injured patients. 

The new devices replace aging ones, allowing paramedics to provide better patient care and communicate more efficiently with the hospital.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has awarded an additional $144.1 million in grants to prevent and treat opioid addiction in support of President Trump’s commitment to combat the opioid crisis.
The driver ran through a crowd of people after losing control of his vehicle, seriously injuring 11 people, several of whom were children.
The bills will provide more privacy for car accident victims who are bombarded by medical and legal offices pushing their services.
Caleb Sharpe, a student at Freeman High School, shot one student dead with a semi-automatic rifle and injured three other students until a custodian tackled and disarmed him.

An explosion at the London Tube Station has left 22 people injured and is being treated as a terrorist incident.

For more on this story, click here.

Physicians will provide free diagnoses and may even send prescriptions to the pharmacy for patients who have been displaced from Hurricane Irma.
Tourniquets are among the items in the medical kits, which are frequently used while ensuring scene safety before EMS personnel can treat patients.
While some hospitals affected by Hurricane Irma are beginning to open again, over 400 healthcare facilities statewide remain without power, water and sewer service.

An emergency crew responded to a call of a woman in labor in her home during Hurricane Irma.

The Orlando Fire Department began answering calls this morning after being on lockdown for eight hours while Hurricane Irma brought 50mph winds into the city.