Md. Officer Recounts Exposure to Heroin, Fentanyl on Overdose Call

Md. Officer Recounts Exposure to Heroin, Fentanyl on Overdose Call

News May 28, 2017

May 27--Harford County Sheriff's Office Cpl. Kevin Phillips has handled hundreds of overdose calls during his eight years in law enforcement and in prior years as a volunteer EMS worker, but he became the patient last week when he was exposed to opioids on an overdose call.

Phillips and two EMS responders were treated for exposure to a substance they encountered last Friday while handling a call at a residence in 2500 block of Laurel Valley Garth in Abingdon. First responders were alerted around 11 p.m. that night.

Phillips, 33, recounted the experience to reporters Friday afternoon at the Sheriff's Office headquarters in downtown Bel Air.

"It was definitely weird, being on the flip side," he said. "I never thought that I'd get Narcan, ever."

Phillips is a shift supervisor assigned to the Southern Precinct in Edgewood. The Bel Air resident, who is married with a 2-year-old child and another on the way, was hired by the Sheriff's Office in 2009.

He is a life member of the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company, which he joined in 2003. He said he has not ridden the ambulance in recent years, though.

Phillips recalled going to the basement, where EMS workers with the Abingdon Fire Company were treating the overdose victim, to see if they needed any help.

He noted that "they were good, they were providing care," so he and another deputy went outside to get plastic bags to collect evidence.

He took suspected heroin, which an EMS worker had placed on the basement stair railing, and placed it in one bag, and he used a piece of cardboard to collect samples from where the EMS responders found the drugs.

Phillips said the victim had regained consciousness, and the deputy asked the victim if there were any other drugs or paraphernalia in the room.

Continue Reading

The victim pointed to a nearby nightstand. Phillips saw a drawer that was "slightly open," and he opened it.

"It just looked like a regular junk drawer," he recalled.

Phillips did not move any items and closed the drawer.

"About two seconds after I shut it, my face started burning, I broke out in a sweat," he said.

Phillips remembered that Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler sent an agency-wide email in recent weeks warning personnel about the dangers of handling drugs at an overdose scene, especially now that users are mixing the painkiller fentanyl with their heroin, plus they have been using the animal tranquilizer carfentanil.

Several people in Maryland have died from carfentanil overdoses this year, including at least one person in Harford County.

"I instantly felt very dizzy and I also felt like I was going to pass out, and I didn't want to pass out in the basement," Phillips said.

He got himself up to the kitchen and into a kitchen chair. The EMS workers hooked him up to monitor, which showed an elevated pulse and a blood pressure that was "ridiculously high."

Phillips took out a shot of Narcan, which Harford deputies and municipal police officers carry with them to revive overdose victims.

An EMS worker took the shot from him and administered it via his nose. Phillips said there was no time to put the "atomizer," which converts the Narcan from a fluid to a mist, on the end of the hypodermic, so the fluid was shot right into his nose.

He said the fluid gave him a "burning sensation," but "I didn't care, I just wanted the Narcan in me."

Phillips said he started feeling less dizzy after he got the Narcan. He noted another EMS provider at the scene appeared to have something wrong with her while he was being treated.

"She started saying that she felt like she got exposed," Phillips recalled.

He called for additional help to the scene.

Phillips was transported by ambulance to University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air.

He said he learned that another EMS worker had been exposed while at the hospital, possibly to drug residue that was on the victim's clothing.

Phillips said he had been wearing gloves at the scene, and detectives with the Sheriff's Office undercover unit used special equipment to clean his uniform.

"I have a 2-year-old son and a pregnant wife," he said. "The thought of bringing that [substance] home, it's the last thing I'd want to do."

The overdose call is currently under investigation; the substance found at the scene was a mix of heroin, fentanyl and lactose, although it has not been determined exactly how Phillips was exposed or to what exact substance he was exposed, according to Sheriff's Office spokesperson Cristie Kahler.

Phillips noted the training first responders have received through the county Health Department to administer Narcan "helped save the day."

"Being a first responder, you just never know what's going to happen, and when things go sideways, it's the people you work with, the training and having the support from commanders who are willing to send you to training and have your back," he said.

The Sheriff's Office is now issuing full-body protective gear, including a hooded suit, boots, gloves, a mask and eyewear, which shift supervisors can provide to deputies who want to give themselves extra protection when handling an overdose.

The gear was obtained following a meeting with the county's Department of Emergency Services, according to Maj. Jack Simpson, commander of the Sheriff's Office Services and Support Bureau.

"The decision was made to try to outfit our deputies with the best that we could in the short term until we evaluate the true needs as the situation evolves," Simpson said. "Fentanyl is a game changer, no doubt about it, we are going to have to stay on our toes in order to protect our personnel."

___ (c)2017 The Aegis (Bel Air, Md.) Visit The Aegis (Bel Air, Md.) at Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

David Anderson
Dr. Vincent Duron from the Columbia University Medical Center in New York received a $100,000 research grant to enhance standard pediatric trauma care.
The First Responders-Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act Grant will provide training and other resources to assist paramedics, law enforcement and health workers to prevent and treat opioid addiction.
The quake ironically struck on the anniversary of a 1985 earthquake that killed thousands of people in Mexico City.

A bus driver with a record of drunk driving crashed into another bus after speeding through an intersection in Queens, New York City, resulting in 3 deaths and multiple seriously injured patients. 

The new devices replace aging ones, allowing paramedics to provide better patient care and communicate more efficiently with the hospital.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has awarded an additional $144.1 million in grants to prevent and treat opioid addiction in support of President Trump’s commitment to combat the opioid crisis.
The driver ran through a crowd of people after losing control of his vehicle, seriously injuring 11 people, several of whom were children.
The bills will provide more privacy for car accident victims who are bombarded by medical and legal offices pushing their services.
Caleb Sharpe, a student at Freeman High School, shot one student dead with a semi-automatic rifle and injured three other students until a custodian tackled and disarmed him.

An explosion at the London Tube Station has left 22 people injured and is being treated as a terrorist incident.

For more on this story, click here.

Physicians will provide free diagnoses and may even send prescriptions to the pharmacy for patients who have been displaced from Hurricane Irma.
Tourniquets are among the items in the medical kits, which are frequently used while ensuring scene safety before EMS personnel can treat patients.
While some hospitals affected by Hurricane Irma are beginning to open again, over 400 healthcare facilities statewide remain without power, water and sewer service.

An emergency crew responded to a call of a woman in labor in her home during Hurricane Irma.

The Orlando Fire Department began answering calls this morning after being on lockdown for eight hours while Hurricane Irma brought 50mph winds into the city.