February 16, 2012
Ed Hampton, national sales manager for Southeastern Emergency Equipment, will retire effective Feb. 29, 2012.
After enjoying a career that spans over four decades, Ed is putting away his demo bag to spend more time with his family—especially his five grandchildren—and the Pinecroft-Sedgefield Fire Department where he has been a Firefighter/EMT for over 15 years.
Ed will leave Southeastern as one of its most successful and effective representatives. He started his 12-year career as a regional manager before advancing to the position of national sales manager. As a result of his exceptional performance, Ed earned the following awards:
- Southeastern President's Circle Award (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
- Southeastern President's Award (2003)
- Philips BLS Rep of the Year (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
- Philips ALS Rep of the Year (2009, 2010)
- Laerdal Sales Achievement Award (2002, 2003, 2004, 2007)
Ed's career began modestly. He was introduced to the EMS industry while working for a local funeral home. At a time when funeral homes provided emergency transport services, Ed was bitten by the emergency service bug. Over the years, he worked for such distinguished EMS services as Winston-Salem Rescue Squad, Watauga Emergency Rescue Unit and Charlotte Life Saving Crew.
Ed first ventured into sales to help support his family, as it was tough to make a living in EMS "back in the day." In 1982, Ed joined Counts Rescue Equipment calling on customers in North Carolina. As his sales skills enhanced, so did Ed's responsibilities. He joined the manufacturing side of the business in 1992 with Laerdal Medical where he won such coveted awards as "Laerdal Spirit Award" (1994), "BLS Specialist Award" (1994), and "Quota Buster" (1992, 1993 and 1994).
Ed has been equally successful—perhaps even more so—while giving freely of his time to help others. Over his lifetime, Ed has earned countless titles and awards. Among the more prominent are:
- Co-Firefighters of the year (with his wife Sue) (2002)
- Certificate of Commendation for saving a life (2006)
- Pinecroft-Sedgefield FD Medical Life Saving Award (2011)
- American Heart Association Heart Saver Hero Award (2011)
- American Heart Association Heart Saver Hero Award (2012)
- North Carolina Certified Rescue Instructor (continuously since 1985)
- Member of the North Carolina Fire Rescue Commission Certification Board (1990 -2011)