N.C. Man Injured After E-Cigarette Explodes

N.C. Man Injured After E-Cigarette Explodes

News Jan 11, 2014

Jan. 11--A man trying to quit smoking is recovering from injuries that he said occurred when his e-cigarette exploded.

Joe Vecchione, 54, of Sneads Ferry said the incident occurred at approximately 11:45 late last year at his home on CCC Road in Sneads Ferry. The pipe-shaped device, which uses a battery to dispense the smoke, "erupted" in his face and left him temporarily blind and in pain, according to Vecchione.

"My eyes were burning," Vecchione said. "It was like a bunch of hot oil hit my face."

In order to use machines like the one Vecchione said he used the night of the incident, a liquid substance called "juice" is used. The brand he used, which was from Buckeye Vapors of Grove City, Ohio, contains propylene glycol and alcohol, which are both combustible.

Vecchione was taken to the hospital by Onslow County EMS and was treated for injuries at Onslow Memorial Hospital, where he was released the next morning, according to Amy Sousa of Onslow Memorial Hospital.

Vecchione said the incident was a surprise to him since he didn't know about the danger.

"The warning on the box was so small, I could hardly read it," Vecchione said. "I had no idea it could pack a punch like that."

Vecchione said he bought the machine at Vaporizit in Hamstead. A store representative declined to comment.

Vecchione's wife of 18 years, Jennifer Vecchione, said she never heard of e-cigarettes exploding before that night.

"I couldn't believe it," Jennifer Vecchione said. "I thought he was going to go blind. All I could think of was all that nicotine seeping into his eyeballs."

Continue Reading

Vecchione said he had been using electronic cigarettes for nearly two months after smoking continually for 17 years. Vecchione said he wanted to stop smoking because of recent health developments within his family and circle of friends, including an uncle with emphysema. Before that, Vecchione said he tried using other smoking alternatives, including nicotine patches, which he said gave him nightmares due to the PTSD he said he acquired after spending 23 years as a firefighter in New Jersey and New York.

The FDA does not currently keep official statistic on the frequency of e-cigarette explosions, though they do offer people who have experienced adverse results because of them to contact them through their MedWatch program on their website.

According to Vecchione, he still suffers from the incident: The bottom of his left eyeball is sensitive to light, hard to see out of and will need to be looked at by an optometrist. Vecchione also says he doesn't plan on seeking an attorney unless the damage to his eye is permanent but hopes those who do plan on using products like e-cigarettes will be cautious.

"I just want to get the word out about these things," Joe Vecchione said. "This went from being a really great thing to something I never want to touch again."

Christopher Thomas is a staff writer at The Daily News. To contact him, call 910-219-8473 or send an e-mail to christopher.thomas@jdnews.com.

Copyright 2014 - The Daily News, Jacksonville, N.C.

Source
The Daily News, Jacksonville, N.C.
Christopher Thomas
The Spokane Fire Department has selected its first woman assistant chief, Trisha Wolford, since its start in 1884.
Recently retired Lt. James Baker allegedly groped female patients on numerous occasions before he was arrested for putting a hidden camera in the women's bathroom at the fire station.
Gia Smith, registered nurse and CEO of Central Valley Speciality Hospital, sprang into action on her cross-country flight when a fellow Californian suffered a heart attack.
Josh Granada, an Orlando Fire Department paramedic, was fired for violating privacy laws after taking an audio recording of a patient and later showing it to his coworkers.
Hawkeye Community College demonstrated the roles of various healthcare professionals treating the injured patients, including paramedics, respiratory therapists, nurses, medical lab technicians, and physical therapists.
The Line of Duty Death project recently erected roadway dedication signs with the names of the firefighters who have died since the foundation of Howard County's volunteer fire station.
EmergyCare is taking applications to provide two women with scholarships to pay for EMT school and textbooks along with jobs upon completion of their training.
Manatee County emergency management officials are asking 100 plus businesses to register their AEDs on the PulsePoint app so users know if there are cardiac arrest victims nearby who need aid.
Baltimore City Council has fielded complaints about 9-1-1 callers being on hold during serious emergencies caused by understaffed dispatch centers and too many non-emergency calls.
The small, military-grade sensor device detects gunshot sounds and sends alerts to police to save more lives in active shooter scenarios.
According to the American Heart Association's newest guidelines, almost half of Americans have high blood pressure.
House Speaker Beth Harwell mandated her staff to attend both active shooter survival and sexual harassment response training.
A Pafford EMS medical helicopter crashed on Sunday night, killing all three crew members on board.
Effingham County Dive Rescue Team consists of difficult but rewarding work, like rescue missions and solving crimes with police.
The 6,700-square foot center features a dispatch center, a large main room for disaster response meetings, and a media room for relaying information during emergencies.