Skip to main content

Boston Woman Accused of Stabbing EMT Found Unfit for Trial

Boston Herald

The woman accused of stabbing a Boston EMT in the back of an ambulance last month was declared incompetent to stand trial Friday and will be held without bail, according to the office of the Suffolk District Attorney.

Julie Tejeda, 31, of East Boston was charged with assault and attempted murder after attacking a female EMT in the back of an ambulance while being transported to the hospital on July 10.

The ambulance had picked Tejeda up in East Boston and was taking her to Massachusetts General Hospital for a wellness evaluation when prosecutors said she became agitated that she was being taken to the hospital and attacked the EMT.

The EMT was stabbed seven times in the abdomen and legs. A second EMT driving the ambulance was pepper-sprayed after stopping to check on the incident.

Tejeda’s lawyer, Eduardo Masferrer, said that he and the commonwealth agreed with the competency report from the doctors who evaluated Tejeda.

“The report came back and indicated that she is not competent to stand trial,” said Masferrer. “The attorney’s office and myself both reviewed that report and agree with it.

“We are hoping that the treatment will help her get better,” said Masferrer. Tejeda will be treated at the Worcester Recovery Center and Hospital.

Boston EMS released a statement Friday afternoon saying the EMTs involved in the attack are still recovering at home and have not yet returned to work.

“As a result of today’s hearing, we hope Ms. Tejeda will receive the treatment that she needs. It is assuring to know that for the time being Ms. Tejeda will not pose a public safety risk,” the statement read.

“Boston EMS is working very closely with our law enforcement partners to ensure the safety of our personnel, patients and the community. Through our coordination with the Boston Police Department we have taken steps to improve policy and procedures. We are also working with Boston police to provide enhanced self-defense training for our members,” the statement said.

Prior court testimony showed that Tejeda had stopped taking medication and going to therapy.

Tejeda was also previously questioned by members of the state’s Joint Terrorism Task Force a day before the EMT attack for a possible link to hoax bomb threats called into airports, including Martha’s Vineyard Airport, authorities said.

Suffolk District Attorney Rachael Rollins said Tejeda had been on police radar for a few days leading up to the attack.

Tejeda is due back in court on March 4, 2020.

Back to Top