Skip to main content

One Tex. FF-Paramedic Killed on Highway, Second Critically Injured

Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Two first responders died in a crash when a car hit them while they were working two traffic accidents Saturday morning on an interstate highway in Lubbock.

Paramedic and firefighter Lt. Eric Hill, 39, and police officer Nicholas Reyna, 27, were killed when a car crossed into the median and hit them and another firefighter during icy conditions. Firefighter Matt Dawson was critically injured in the crash as well, the Lubbock Police Department said on Twitter.

On Sunday afternoon, a procession of police and fire vehicles from various agencies escorted the bodies of Hill and Reyna to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office. Fort Worth police officers and firefighters were posted on overpasses to pay their respects when the procession came through the city.

“I and the #LubbockPolice want to thank everyone, our community, our law enforcement family and our elected officials for the outpouring of support we’ve received following the death of Ofc. Reyna. Our hearts mourn for our Lubbock First Responder Family,” Lubbock Police Chief Floyd Mitchell said on Twitter.

Hill, Reyna and Dawson were helping with two separate accidents on Interstate 27 at about 8:30 a.m. Storms brought snow and icy conditions to the roads that morning.

Hill served with Lubbock Fire Rescue for 10 years, the police department said on Twitter, and had been promoted to lieutenant in July 2019. Reyna had been with the department for one year and served on patrol during the day shift.

Dawson, 30, has been with the department for five years.

“It is not possible to express the hurt we all feel from the death our own officer, and the death and injuries to our firefighter brothers, and the grief of their families and friends,” Lubbock police tweeted.

An investigation is continuing to determine if any charges will be filed in the accident.

The injured firefighter who remains in critical condition is 30-year-old firefighter/paramedic Matt Dawson. He has been with the department for five years. Matt Dawson is stationed at Fire Station 2A. 

Back to Top