Md. City Council Concerned About Long Wait Times on 9-1-1 Calls


Md. City Council Concerned About Long Wait Times on 9-1-1 Calls

News Nov 21, 2017

The Baltimore Sun

Nov. 21—Several Baltimore City Council members voiced concerns Monday about wait times constituents have experienced when calling 911, saying residents have relayed stories of being placed on hold while homes were burglarized and houses burned.

"At minimum, our citizens deserve for their calls to be picked up," said City Councilman Zeke Cohen, who read aloud complaints from residents during a Public Safety Committee hearing on the city's 911 operation. "I think we on the council are feeling that there is a systemic problem happening."

Baltimore Fire Chief Niles Ford testified that the average wait time for the city's 911 is only six seconds, and said he has only about two dozen complaints on record about long wait times.

But Ford acknowledged longer wait times do occur during major incidents—such as a fire during which dozens of people call at the same time. The city also is experiencing higher rates of calls because of the increasing rate of violent crime, he said.

Ford said the 911 call center's staffing has declined over the years. Before 2009, the city assigned 35 operators to the 911 call center for each shift. Today, staffing is between 12 and 18 per shift, he said.

Former Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake transferred control of the call center to the fire and police departments in 2015. Before then, oversight of the 911 system had been under Mayor's Office of Information Technology.

Ford encouraged council members to send him the specific complaints they've received, saying: "We want to make sure we continue to improve. We'd love to look into each one of the complaints that you've discussed."

Baltimore City Council President Bernard C. "Jack" Young and council members Ryan Dorsey and Isaac "Yitzy" Schleifer echoed Cohen's concerns, saying they've received complaints from constituents about long wait times.

"I get complaints all the time," Schleifer said.

Continue Reading

Dorsey said he fielded a complaint from one resident who said she waited on hold as she watched a home get burglarized.

"When you say we don't fail to dispatch calls, it's just not true," Dorsey told fire officials.

Young said residents have contacted him via Facebook to raise concerns.

"If we're not fully staffed, what's the impediment that's keeping this from being fully staffed?" Young asked. "This is really critical to the lives of people who live in the city... This is an emergency for us. We really want to make sure are we attracting [and] maintaining these 911 operators."

City Councilman Brandon Scott, chairman of the public safety committee, suggested that the council consider pressuring the mayor's office to add more positions for 911 operators into next year's budget.

But, he said, residents may also need more education about where to call with complaints, noting that many issues are better served by calling the city's non-emergency 311 service.

"We have a lot of folks who are calling 911 for things they should be calling 311 for," Scott said.

City Council members have repeatedly raised concerns about the 911 system. They say residents have complained of dropped calls, no answers and busy signals when trying to report an emergency.

Last June, the 911 system crashed for more than an hour—leaving police and firefighters unable to receive calls via the emergency phone line. The crash was suspected to have been caused by a problem with Verizon, which maintains equipment and networks for the city.

Ford said Monday that problem has been resolved and the system hasn't crashed since.

The city's 911 center is the state's busiest, sometimes handling 4,000 calls a day. About three-fourths of calls are for police assistance; the rest are for medical emergencies and fires.

Call-takers are busiest between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. each day, Ford said.

Luke Broadwater
The new fire station would have housed another ambulance, two more firefighters, and be able to fit modern fire trucks to fit the needs of the growing town.
For the first time since 1995, Starkville Fire Department hired a female firefighter, Bethany Allen, who is working on completing her fire academy and EMT training.
To better understand and treat the patients they revive with Narcan, firefighter-EMTs received training on opioid abuse and recovery
The collaboration supports rural healthcare providers with the goal of improving patient outcomes in Kansas through the Redivus mobile clinical decision app.
Children and young adults with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes could be up to seven times more likely to die from sudden cardiac arrest than those who don't have diabetes.
Deputy Chief State Fire Marshal Sander B. Cohen and Supervisory Special Agent Carlos Wolff were struck and killed Friday on I-270 after Cohen stopped to help Wolff after crashing his car.
Ticket sales from the Jets' recent home game will partially fund EMSCNJ's new 9/11 monument in Keansburg, NJ.
The 'Flying Eye Hospital' features exam equipment and an operating room and travels to developing countries to treat patients with blindness or eye diseases.
Allina Health EMS welcomes newcomers Joan Mellor as Director of External Affairs and Jim Soukup as the Communication Center Director.
Delray Beach wants artists to paint murals on the unsightly garbage trucks being used to barricade large outdoor events in light of the increased use of vehicles as weapons to plow into crowds.
Police have suspect Akayed Ullah in custody, who was badly injured by the bomb he detonated that injured 3 others in the Port Authority bus terminal.
Time is brain, and the Lucid System, which will eventually be tested in ambulances, could save valuable time when diagnosing and treating stroke victims.
Ben Abbott, a two-year member of Wiltshire Air Ambulance, is mentoring his new crew member James Hubbard.
Team Rubicon, a nonprofit group composed of military veterans, first responders, and doctors, has 229 volunteers deployed in Puerto Rico, where health conditions among citizens are worsening.
San Diego Fire-Rescue Chief Brian Fennessy said two of the four passengers were not able to be rescued when the plane became engulfed in flames.